Monday, November 12, 2007

To All Those That Served and Serve Now: Happy Veteran's Day

A couple years ago, my grandfather passed away. At his funeral I first found out that his brother, my grand uncle, died on a mission as a pilot in WWII. My grandfather was himself a mechanic for planes during the war. The only thing I knew about his service was a bomber pilot's leather helmet that he gave me when I was young. (It was from a German fighter pilot)

My grandfather and his brother both served for the Soviets. (that is of course where my entire family is from and where I was born). I mention this because on the fiftieth anniversary of the war my grandfather was honored here in America (where he eventually emigrated to along with much of the rest of my family). My grandfather and his brother were both heroes. They each sacrificed plenty for the cause of freedom and my grand uncle made the ultimate sacrifice.

I have no such stories of my own, however I respect and honor veterans and combat forces everywhere. They are in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, the Phillipines, and many other places we don't know about. Their courage, dedication and service should humble us all.

On this Veteran's Day, we salute all of you.

No comments: